“I have used the Norton Critical Editions since graduate school. As a teacher of high-school literature, I find them to be excellent resources for the study of various novels, plays, etc."—Brooke Gifford, Vincent Middle High School
This Norton Critical Edition includes:
• The annotated text of Kate Chopin’s modernist novel of marital infidelity, set in New Orleans and Grande Isle, Louisiana.
• A preface, a critical essay, and explanatory annotations by Margo Culley.
• Essays by acclaimed Chopin biographers Per Seyersted and Emily Toth, “An Etiquette/Advice Book Sampler” with selections from the conduct books of the period, and contemporary perspectives on womanhood, motherhood, and marriage.
• Forty-five reviews and interpretive essays on The Awakening spanning three centuries.
• A Chronology of Chopin’s life and work and an updated Selected Bibliography.